Monday, March 18, 2019

Bonnie and Clyde



This piece is one of my favorites I have done this semester. It is a charcoal drawing of Bonnie and Clyde I created using one of their original pictures as a reference. I have always loved their story and much of my family is intrigued by the outlaw pair. Actually, my boyfriend and his cousin, whom is my best friend, are both distantly related to Clyde. For this piece I used a mechanical pencil for the general sketch of it all and then I moved onto shading dark values with different types of charcoal pencils. I also used both light gray and white soft pastel pencils to achieve certain highlights and smoother textures, such as the fabrics. I chose black and white to go with the originality of the reference photo. Critique I have received about this piece is mostly about the background being too plain and unbalanced because of the car on the left side and the blank sky on the right, so I made the decision to crop to maintain focus on the figures. If I could go back a redo parts of this drawing, I would have not have rushed Clyde's face as much since I am not competently happy with the outcome of the shape. I think the strongest parts of this is definitely the contrast and the look of the fabric they are wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment