Monday, March 18, 2019

Unexpected Commission

This was my first commission I have ever been asked to do. It was a fairly quick portrait of an engaged couple and will be given to them as a wedding gift in April. For this piece I used only a mechanical pencil for detail and a 4B pencil to get the darkest values. The person who requested this commission was very helpful in the process because of all the critique I received. They really wanted it to capture the pair, specifically the woman in the drawing as to make her feel confident about herself. Most of the time spent on this drawing was taken by all the times I reworked the faces trying to get them as close as I could. Although I do love the end result and the client and myself both think I captured their likeness, my biggest mistake was not working larger. I would have been able to do more if I had drawn them bigger on a larger sheet of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment