Monday, March 18, 2019

Surreal Self Portrait



When our instructor talked about self portraits, I was not expecting him to assign a surreal self portrait. As someone who favors realism, this was a really fun way to make a realistic drawing with a unique twist. For this piece I wanted to show two sides of myself; such as two of my most distinctive emotions. I used charcoal pencil for the faces and the sweatshirt of the figure. I filled in the hair with song lyrics to the song Dear Fellow Traveler by Seawolf in light blue pen ink as a way to represent a hidden sense of adventure within myself. I also added geometric shapes in the background to create a feeling of depth and, while using a light blue colored pencil in the same shade as the pen, filled in some of the squares. The inked outlines of the hair, the figure, and the squares were lined with permanent marker. I think if I were to change anything about this piece I would have used neater handwriting in the hair and possibly add more the the body of the figure other than the front of a sweatshirt. The strongest parts of this drawing are the faces and how I captured my likeness in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment